Built to house Caltech’s civil and mechanical engineering departments, the Franklin Thomas Engineering Laboratory was completed in three sections during the span of World War II- the eastern third in 1945, the western two-thirds after the war in 1950. Originally referred to simply as “Engineering,” the building was formally named in 1960 in honor of Caltech civil engineer and dean of students Franklin Thomas.
Owner: California Institute of Technology
Architect: AC Martin Partners, Inc.
General Contractor: Swinerton Builders