During The Great Depression, the City of Beverly Hills was proactive in enhancing the viability of the community. As a result, it showed it’s resiliency by opening two prominent civic buildings despite economic hardships of the times — one being the Beverly Hills Post Office — which remains a landmark structure in the City to this day. Built in 1933, as a part of President Roosevelt’s Work Projects Administration (WPA) program, the Italian Renaissance Revival style building was designed to compliment the design of the adjacent city hall, designed by Architects Ralph C. Flewelling. and Allison & Allison Architects. Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the post office is now closed but is being restored as part of the new Wallis Annenberg Center for the Performing Arts.
Owner: City of Beverly Hills
Historic Contractor: Historic Resources Group
General Contractor: MATT Construction
Structural Engineer: Structural Focus