Broadway Trade Center
(Los Angeles, CA)
Located at 801 South Broadway in Los Angeles, the former Hamburger’s Department Store was originally designed by Alfred F. Rosenheim. Opened in 1908, A. Hamburger and Sons was one of the first department stores to operate in Los Angeles. The Beaux Arts building was acquired by David May in 1923 and renamed the May Company Department Store. The building was enlarged by Aleck Curlett in 1929 to accommodate more merchandise.
Currently known as the Broadway Trade Center, the building is listed as a City of Los Angeles Historic Cultural Monument #459. It is a contributing building to the Broadway Theater and Commercial Historic District, which is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.
Owner: Broadbridge LA LLC
Original Architect: Alfred F. Rosenheim
Architect: Omgivning Architects
Historic Consultant: Chattel Architecture