(San Clemente, CA )
Overlooking the Pacific Ocean, Casa Romantica is the historic home of Ole Hanson, the co-founder of the City of San Clemente. The seven-bedroom, seven-bath Spanish Colonial Revival estate was built in 1927 and designed by architect Carl Lindbom
Over the years, the estate had a variety of owners and was re-named several times. The property was first named Casa Romantica after it was purchased by Lambert and Patricia Schuyler in 1946. It was eventually sold to Muriel and Leslie Whitehouse, who then re-christened it Casa Blanca. The house was finally re-named Casa Romantica in 1960 after it was purchased by George and Louise Welsh, who operated the property as a senior citizens’ home until 1984.
The Casa was leased to a private business for special events until it was purchased by the San Clemente Redevelopment Agency in 1989. The property is currently part of the Casa Romantica Cultural Center and Gardens non-profit organization, which provides community programs in the arts, music, history, horticulture, and literature.
Casa Romantica was listed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 1991.
Owner: City of San Clemente
Original Architect: Carl Lindbom