Tourism was encouraged by the construction of an Art Deco dance hall, called the Catalina Casino, on May 29, 1929. Surrounded by sea on three sides, the circular structure is the equivalent of 12 stories tall. The lower level of the Casino houses the Avalon Theater. The upper level houses the world’s largest circular ballroom with a 180-foot (55 m) diameter dance floor. French doors encircle the room, and balcony views are spectacular.
Owner: Santa Catalina Island Company
Original Architect: Walter Webben and Sumner A. Spaulding
General Contractor:Spectra Company