Dorothy Chandler House
(Hancock Park, CA)
The Chandler House is the former residence of Norman and Dorothy Chandler. The Chandlers were a prominent Los Angeles couple; Norman was the executive publisher of the Los Angeles Times and Dorothy served as a leader in the advancement of the cultural arts in Los Angeles. Their home is located in Windsor Square, a small historic neighborhood east of Los Angeles’s Hancock Park. Built in 1913, the Beaux Arts house spans 9,300 square feet. After they purchased it, it was visited by Presidents Eisenhower, Kennedy, Johnson and Nixon and was somewhat a “Western White House.”
The house is listed as a Los Angeles Historical-Cultural Monument and was designed by Julia Morgan, William Dodd and J. Martyn Haenke. The trio also designed the Herald Examiner Building.
Original Architect: Julia Morgan, William Dodd and J. Martyn Haenke
General Contractor: Spectra Company