Downtown Womens Center
(Los Angeles, CA)
The gothic revival style Downtown Women’s Center (historically known as the Renaissance Building) was built in 1926 by architect William Douglas Lee, and pioneering female builder/developer Florence C. Casler. The Downtown Women’s Center organization bought the building for $1 and soon after it was transformed into a safe haven for the ever growing homeless population of women in Los Angeles. Spectra Company received a preservation award for from the Los Angeles Conservancy and the National Trust.
Original Architect: William Douglas Lee
Architect: Pica + Sullivan Architects LTD
Historic Consultant: ICF International/Historic Resources Group
Structural Engineer: Johnson Leifield Structural Engineers
General Contractor: W.E. O’Neil Construction