Ebell of Los Angeles
(Los Angeles, CA)
Ebell of Los Angeles was formed as a women’s club in 1894 – based on the teachings of Adrian Ebell, a pioneer in women’s education and organizer of women’s societies. Originally founded in the late 19th Century by Harriet Williams Russell Strong, the group has conducted classes and hosted lectures and seminars.
The group announced their plans to build the new clubhouse and theater in 1923 and purchased the land in 1925. They retained the services of Architect Sumner P. Hunt of Hunt & Burns who designed the new facility in an Italian Style. Doors were opened in 1927. The Wilshire Ebell Theatre was originally called the Windsor Square Playhouse, but today is referred to as the Ebell Theatre.
The building gained notoriety over the years and was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1994. As well, it is considered a Los Angeles Cultural Historic Monument, given the designation in 1982. Designated as an Official American Treasure by the National Trust for Historic Preservation, the facility consists of a large lounge, art salon, dining room and theatre.
The theatre is proud to have hosted famous women over the years. Judy Garland was discovered while at an audition at the Wilshire Ebell Theater and the legendary Amelia Earhart made her last public appearance before her fateful last flight.
Exterior Concrete Restoration