El Cortez Hotel
Commissioned by real estate investor Abe Zetooney and designed by father and son architects George and Lehman A. “Monk” Ferris, the six story El Cortez Hotel became Reno’s tallest building upon its opening in March of 1931. Decorated in low-relief terra cotta, the Art Deco style hotel originally opened with only 60-rooms. After the hotel gained its first gaming license in 1934, a six-story tower designed by Monk Ferris was added between 1940 and 1941, nearly doubling the number of rooms. Although the hotel closed in 1966, a Chinese restaurant operated in the property from 1972 until 1982.
The El Cortez Hotel was listed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1984. The building was purchased by the Siegel Group in 2014 and converted into flexible-stay apartments.
Owner: El Cortez Reno Holdings, LLC
Original Architect: George and Lehman A. Ferris
Historic Architect: Historic Architect
Restoration Contractor: Spectra Company