The Fonda Theater
(Los Angeles, CA)
Originally named Carter De Haven’s Music Box, the Fonda Theater is a Hollywood Boulevard landmark. The theater, designed by Los Angeles architecture firm Morgan, Walls and Clements Architects, opened in 1926 as a stage play theater. The first production shown was Chicago starring Clark Cable and Nancy Carrol. The Music Box continued to operate as a stage play theater until 1945 when it was bought by Fox Studios and converted to a movie theater. In addition to adapting the space to a movie theater, Fox Studios hired local architects, the Skouras Brothers, to cover the original Spanish Revival décor with Streamline Moderne features. Fox owned and operated the building until 1977. The theater sat vacant until 1985 when the Nederlander Organization bought it and named it the Fonda Theater, in honor of actor Henry Fonda. The space was converted back to a stage play theater, this time producing plays and concerts. Nederlander sold the Fonda Theater to Goldenvoices in 2002.
Notable performances at the Fonda Theater include those from Pearl Jam, Radiohead, Stevie Wonder and the Rolling Stones
Spectra has hired to do decorative material restoration and structural retrofit work. The ornamental plaster details in the auditorium as well as the theater’s marquee were restored. Severely deteriorated areas of the structural concrete beams above the stage were repaired.
Original Architect: Morgan, Walls and Clements Architects
Historic Architect: Historic Architect
Consulting Engineer: Henry P. Chow & Associates
Preservation Contractor: Spectra Company