Gas Company Lofts
(Los Angeles, CA)
The original 13 story Gas Company Headquarters building was constructed in 1924 by John Parkinson and Donald B. Parkinson. This Renaissance Revival styled building housed a company in which sold natural gas for stoves and heaters. In 1942, the Gas Company hired architect, Robert Derrah to design a 6-story expansion that combined Modern Minimalism and Art Deco styling. 18 years later, a third building was added and then from 1990-2004 all three buildings sat vacant. During the early 2000’s the vacant building was purchased and a conversion plan was drawn up to create what we now know as the Gas Company Lofts. In 2003, Spectra Company restored parts of the interior elevator lobby and installed expansion joints on the interior and exterior of the building.
Owner: CIM Group
Original Architect: Parkinson and Parkinson
General Contractor: Swinerton Builders