Glendale Masonic Temple
Located on Brand Street in Glendale, California, Unity Lodge No. 368 was built in 1928 for the Free and Accepted Masons of the State of California. The Art Deco temple was designed by Arthur George Lindley of the local firm Lindley & Selkirk and remained the tallest building on Brand Street for many years. The haphazard window pattern reflects the Mason’s need for a variety of grand, and typically windowless, ceremonial rooms.
Although Unity Lodge lost the property to foreclosure in 1934, various Masonic groups continued to rent space in the building for several decades. While the upper floors have been sporadically rented, most of the building has remained vacant for extended periods. In 1934, the Temple movie theater was built inside the Mason’s auditorium. The A Noise Within Theatre Company moved into the lower floors of the building in 1991 and is the sole current tenant. The Masonic Temple was listed on the Glendale Register of Historic Resources in 1997.
Current property owner Caruso Affiliated plans to transform the property into creative offices and a mixed-used venue with retail and restaurant space.
Owner: Caruso Affiliated
Original Architect: Arthur Lindley
Architect: Frank De Pietro and Sons
Historic Architect: Page and Turnbull
Structural Engineer: Structural Focus
General Contractor: W.E. O’Neil Construction of California
Restoration Contractor: Spectra Company