Built in 1891, the Hargitt House was built for the Johnston Family, Norwalk’s “first” family. Darius David Johnston, a prominent community member, established Norwalk’s first school system in 1880 and helped bring the dairy industry to the area. The Johnstons’ eldest daughter, Cora, and her husband, Charles Frederick Hargitt, would eventually inherit the house.
The house was designed in the Eastlake Victorian style. The shiplap façade is decorated with scroll work, intricately carved brackets, turned spindles, and stained glass. The house was built on 120 acres of agricultural land, but the land would eventually be sold and developed.
The Hargitt House is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Spectra restored the entire exterior of the Hargitt House. On the house’s exterior, the lead-based paint was removed using proper abatement techniques, and the house was repainted. Decorative architectural woodwork, wood doors and windows, and the wood stairs were also restored. A tall, extant wood water tower was also restored..
Owner: City of Norwalk
Environmental Consultant: Barr & Clark
Restoration Contractor: Spectra Company