(San Diego, CA)
The Hotel Churchill originally opened in August of 1914 in time for Balboa Park’s Panama-California Exposition. Located at 827 C. Street in downtown San Diego, the hotel was named for its owner, Orrin Churchill, and designed by architect David. S. Holmes. The hotel included 90 rooms, 33 baths, a ladies parlor and an Otis elevator.
George E. Fish bought the hotel in 1983. Inspired by the multi-themed Madonna Inn in San Luis Obispo, Fish spent $200,000 remaking the hotel with a medieval theme, including a faux drawbridge entrance and the castle painted on the side of the building. Ralph Burni took over the hotel when Fish died in 1995, but was unable to meet the $500,000 revitalization cost. Hotel Churchill closed in 2005, just two years after being designated a local historical landmark by the City of San Diego Historical Resources Board.
The San Diego Housing Commission acquired Hotel Churchill in 2011. The hotel is currently undergoing a $20.5 million rehabilitation which will result in 72 affordable rental units, 56 for vets and eight each for youth and adults needing supportive services. It is expected to re-open in 2016.
Owner: HDP Churchill, LLC
Original Owner: Orrin L. Churchill
Original Architect: David. S. Holmes
General Contractor: Allgire General Contractors, Inc.
Restoration Contractor: Spectra Company