The Humboldt County Courthouse was completed in 1960 on the site of the previous 1889 courthouse which had been damaged by an earthquake in 1952. In April of 1960 the mosaic murals were unveiled over both entrances to the courthouse. The murals, presenting a symbolic scene in subdued tones, was designed from the records of the Humboldt Historical Society.
Original Architect: Mitchel Van Bourg
Artist: Sophie Van Bourg
General Contractor: Spectra Company