Kirk Douglas Theatre
(Culver City, CA)
The Culver Theatre began construction in 1945 and opened on August 13, 1946. The Streamline Moderne movie house underwent various changes of ownership, was purchased by the Mann chain in the early 1970s, and later Great Western Theatres, Inc., and NCC Theatre Corp. The Culver City Redevelopment Agency bought the theatre in 1985 but closed it in 1989. The theatre received Historic Landmark status from the city.
The Center Theatre Group purchased the building in 2004. With the help of the Culver City Redevelopment Agency and donations by Kirk and Anne Douglas, the theatre re-opened as an intimate entertainment venue of 317 seats. The $8 million restoration project preserved most of the building’s exterior, including the box office and the signature mezzanine tile. The renamed the Kirk Douglas Theatre operates as a performing arts center and playhouse.
Owner: Centre Theatre Group
Restoration Contractor: Spectra Company