Monrovia Santa Fe Depot
After being vacant for a few decades, the historic Monrovia Santa Fe Depot has undergone a remarkable transformation. Once a dilapidated structure, the 1924 train depot has been restored using adaptive reuse plans put into action by its new owner. In recent years, the Spanish Colonial Revival style building was listed by the City of Monrovia as a Historic Landmark. Designed by William H. Mohr and built by Sumner-Sollett Company, the depot represents an important part of Monrovia’s history.
The building and surrounding train platform have been adaptively reused to become a space for a restaurant. Historic photographs and an old 1966 comedy film guided the restoration of missing elements. Spectra Company worked with contractor Jorgensen-Reeve to complete the exterior restoration.
Spectra’s work included architectural woodwork, plaster restoration and splitting cast concrete columns to insert structural reinforcement and using molds to restore them with the exact original shape and color. New ornamental metal features have been restored and installed at the exterior of the building and at the front façade oval window. New doors and windows were also fabricated and installed to restore the original openings.
Owner: Daylight Limited, LL
Original Architect: William H. Mohr
General Contractor: Jorgensen-Reeve Builders, Inc.
Restoration Contractor: Spectra Company