Bank of Italy/Nomad Hotel
(Los Angeles, CA)
Located at the corner of Olive and 7th Street in Downtown Los Angeles, Giannini Place was the corporate headquarters of the Bank of Italy. The Bank of Italy was established in 1904 by Amadeo Giannini. Originally headquartered in San Francisco, the bank directed its services towards working class Italian Americans. In the early 1920s, Giannini decided to move its headquarters from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Acclaimed architecture firm Morgan, Walls & Clements was commissioned to design the new bank. Designed in the neoclassical style, the 12-story building features Doric columns, marble floors and an ornate golden ceiling.
In 2015, a New York-based development firm, Sydell Group, purchased the abandoned office building. They plan to convert Giannini Place to a boutique hotel, the NoMad Hotel. The space will be fitted to accommodate 250 guest rooms, a rooftop pool and event deck, and street level retail space.
Spectra is partnering with Sydell Group, RD Olsen and Killefer Flammang Architects to restore the 1920s-era structure. The exterior terra cotta and brick will be restored to reflect their period of significance.
Owner: Sydell Group
Original Architect: Morgan, walls & Clements
Historic Architect: Killefer Flamang
Historic Preservation Consultant: GPA Consulting
Civil Engineer: KPFF
Structural Engineer: Nabih Yousef & Associates
Electrical/Mechanical Engineer: Creative Engineering Group
General Contractor: RD OIsen
Restoration Contractor: Spectra Company