Robert Pitcairn Jr House
Robert Pitcairn, Jr., son of a prominent Pennsylvania Railroad executive, hired the Greene brothers in 1906 to build his home after he had lived in a house they had designed. The Pitcairn House was the first time these specific design elements came together in a single home. Elements such as a shingled exterior; a roof pitch of three feet, ten inches in twelve feet; major interior and exterior timbers; deeply overhanging eaves; exposed rafters, purlins, and beams that project significantly beyond the eaves; “Malthoid” roofing that integrates the roof with the rain gutters; an up-swept “lift” in the ends of the ridge beam; basement ventilation made of Chinese blocks of green-glazed terra-cotta; and casement windows. Most important were the terraces and sleeping porches that extend the outdoor living space on the upper level. They adapted Japanese construction themes to Pasadena’s regional conditions and their own aesthetic sense. This house was the first of its kind.
Owner: Westridge School for Girls
Original Architect: Greene and Greene Architectural Firm
Historic Architect: Kelly Sutherlin McLeod Architecture
Historic Conservator: Griswold and Associates
Structural Engineer: Michael Krakower and Associates
General and Historic Restoration Contractor: Spectra Company