Tips for Handling Natural Disaster Damage to Historic Properties
Preparedness is not just for new homes. Historic properties need to take extra steps to protect their architecture and structures from storm damage. Because most of these historical properties were not built to withstand heavy winds, rain or flooding, it is imperative you plan for disasters well before they occur.
If a disaster does strike and cause damage, historic renovation experts should be called immediately to prevent any further damage.What to do Before the Storm Hits
After the Storm Hits
- Create a disaster plan for the property ahead of time. This should include a checklist for what to do, how to focus your attention and what steps you must take before the storm arrives.
- Check to make sure your insurance coverage is adequate. Older and historic buildings are expensive to renovate and restore; therefore, you need to make sure your insurance will cover historic renovation if damage does happen.
- Print documents ahead of time. Because storms will cause power outages, you need all important documents at your fingertips while the power and internet are still on.
- Secure your property by ensuring everyone on-site is safe and valuables are protected. If architectural fragments have broken off, pick them up – this can help with the historic renovation later.
- Call your insurance company to report damage right away.
- Start taking photographs of the damage and document any losses.
- Make a list of what was damaged.
- Contact a professional for historic renovation. You can collect repair bids from multiple companies or contact your local historical society to see who they recommend. You will want a company that can assist with any water, mold or potential fire damage – since not all historical restoration companies are equipped to handle these situations.
Spectra Company has years of experience helping owners of historical properties renovate and restore after a natural disaster. If your building or home was damaged in a recent storm, contact the team at Spectra Company today for a no obligation estimate for your historic renovation.