Jacob Weinberger U.S. Courthouse
(San Diego, CA)
The U.S. Courthouse in San Diego was completed in 1913 as part of the city’s preparation for the 1915 Panama-California Exposition. Originally called the U.S. Post Office and Customs House, the building also housed the U.S. District Court, Immigration and Naturalization Service, and the U.S. Weather Bureau
Constructed of stucco-covered brick masonry walls resting on a limestone base, the Courthouse was designed as a mixture of Spanish Colonial Revival and Classical Revival architectural styles. The portico, distinguished by its grand Ionic colonnade, is the only surviving Classical Revival facade in San Diego. The Courthouse was renamed in honor of Judge Jacob Weinberger in 1988.
A campaign to restore the historic building in 1994 led to an award-winning renovation project which preserved the historic lobby and main courtroom while creating new offices and courtrooms for the Immigration and Naturalization Service.
The Jacob Weinberger U.S. Courthouse is listed in the National Register of Historic Places.<b
Owner: U.S. General Services Administration
Original Architect: James Knox Taylor
General Contractor: Global Management Services, LLC
Restoration Contractor: Spectra Company