(las Vegas, NV)
Located in the historic Westside, the “Las Vegas Grammar School Branch No. 1” was the first grammar school in west Las Vegas and is the oldest remaining schoolhouse in Las Vegas today. Built in 1923 on land donated by Helen J. Stewart to the Clark County School District, the original building consisted of just two classrooms- the front two rooms of the existing structure. The back two rooms of the Mission Revival style building were added in 1928. The school served the largely Hispanic, Paiute, and African American community of Westside. The school building was officially phased out of use in 1967.
The Economic Opportunity Board purchased the facility in 1975 and began the preliminary restoration of the block structure. The building is currently owned by the City of Las Vegas and is leased to KCEP, a nonprofit radio station. Historic Westside School is listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Nevada State Register of Historic Places, and the City of Las Vegas Historic Property Register.
Owner: City of Las Vegas
Architect: KME Architects LLC
Structural Engineer: Wright Engineers
General Contractor: Whiting-Turner Contracting Company
Restoration Contractor: Spectra Company