800-375-1771

Beverly Hills Electric Fountain
(Beverly Hills, CA)


Located on the corner of Wilshire and Santa Monica Boulevards, the Beverly Hills Electric Fountain was the first electric fountain in the United States. The fountain was unveiled in 1931 and is a highlighted feature of the Beverly Gardens.


The fountain was designed by architect Ralph Carlin Flewelling (Newport Beach City Hall and All Saints’ Episcopal Church in Riverside, California). American sculpture Robert Merrell Gage designed the figure of the Native American at the center of the fountain and the frieze that wraps around the base of the fountain. The frieze depicts California history. The fountain is lined with blue glazed tiles on the interior and decorative blue and white terra cotta tiles on the exterior. The main feature of the fountain is the color light display that illuminates the water.

Spectra restored the cast concrete benches that surround the Electric Fountain.

Services


  • Cast Concrete Bench Restoration

Design Team


Owner: City of Beverly Hills
Original Architect: Ralph Carlin Flewelling
Historic Fountain Consultant: Silverlake Conservation, LLC
Structural Engineer: Barbara L. Hall
Electrical Engineer: IDS Group
Landscape Architect: Mia Lehrer + Associate
Water Feature Consultant: Holdenwater Water Architecture and Engineering
Lighting Designer: Horton Lees Brogden Lighting Design
General Contractor: Matt Construction
Restoration Contractor: Spectra Company

Press


Publication: Publication
Date: Date
Extra Information: Information
Extra Information: Information
Extra Information: Information

The Greenest Building Is One That Already Exists