Carson Block

Eureka in 1850 was an unruly, underdeveloped community which attracted settlers seeking gold, land, and fortune. It wasn’t until the late 1800’s the seaside community developed into a booming lumber trading port. With this growth came wealthy men such as William Carson-the man Carson Block was built for and named after. Built in 1892 and designed by architects Samuel and Joseph Newsom, the distinguished structure is a fine example of Richardsonian Romanesque inspired architecture featuring heavy arches and turrets. The three story building was one of the first in Eureka to house professional offices and retail space. The opulent Ingomar Theatre, named after Carson’s favorite play, “Ingomar the Barbarian,” occupied the upper floors.

The Carson Block building is constructed of redwood, brick, and tile. Modernization attempts in the mid-20th century removed the center turret and replaced it with a neon sign. The original exterior walls were covered with stucco and the plate glass replaced with glass blocks. The Northern California Indian Development Council received private funding to restore the historic façade after purchasing the building in 1986. Spectra Company was hired to restore the historic facade including window restoration, architectural woodwork and carpentry, stucco removal, and replication of the beautiful terracotta wall tiles.

Scope of Work

Architectural Woodwork • Estimating & Value Engineering • Facade Rehabilitation • Materials Restoration • Selective Demolition/Abatement • Self-Perform • Terra Cotta • Wood Windows

Awards

California Preservation Foundation 2017 • Governor’s Award 2017



Related Projects