Dickinson and Gillespie Bldg.
(Play Del rey, CA)
The Dickinson and Gillespie Building in downtown Playa Del Re, CA was originally built in 1922 as an extension of the Hotel Playa, a hotel opened in 1906 on the same site.
The building served as the headquarters of the Dickinson & Gillespie Real Estate Company, a Minneapolis, Minnesota based partnership which relocated here in 1922, and was directed by Fritz Bernard Burns. Burns became famous for starting the tradition of having Santa’s village with live reindeer at his Panorama City shopping center at Christmas time.
Dickinson and Gillespie suffered devastating losses as a result of the collapse of the United States economy in 1929, and shortly thereafter vacated the premises. Over the years, the building was occupied by doctors, dentists, a hardware store operation, a surf shop and a bicycle rental stand, just to name a few. Today, Tanner’s Coffee Company, and several other tenants, occupy the location
The building has been designated as a California Historical Monument. It was designed (re-designed) by architectural firm of Roth & Parker with a later interior renovation by Parkinson & Parkinson.
Owner: Jan Building Company
Restoration Contractor: Spectra Company