Pilgrim Place – Porter Hall
Founded in 1915 to help provide temporary housing for missionaries, Pilgrim Place is a nonprofit senior community for those serving in religious or charitable organizations. The nonprofit initially had two houses on the grounds of what is now Scripps College but relocated to its current 33-acre campus in the 600 block of Mayflower Road in the mid-1920s. The campus developed into a retirement center for missionaries and theoligians. An article written by Joe Blackstock for the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin describes Pilgrim Place as uniquely special considering that retirement communities were not common at the time. Pilgrim Place offers various levels of assisted care for its residents, with most residents living independently in cottage-style homes.
Spectra was the historic contractor for Porter Hall. The scope of the project included plaster repair, exterior painting, stuctural impovements, thermal and moisure protection, roofing repair, window repair, waterproofing, and installation of ADA compliant ramps, handrails, and restroom.
Porter Hall was built in 1930 and was dedicated to Mary Porter. Porter was active in the Pilgrim Place community and a missionary in China.
Owner: Pilgrim Place
Architect: Brian R. Bloom
Restoration Contractor: Spectra Company