Brian R. Bloom
Founded in 1915 to help provide temporary housing for missionaries, Pilgrim Place is a nonprofit senior community for those serving in religious or charitable organizations. The nonprofit initially had two houses on the grounds of what is now Scripps College, but relocated to its current 33-acre campus in the 600 block of Mayflower Road in the mid-1920s. The campus developed into a retirement center for missionaries and theologians. An article written by Joe Blackstock for the Inland Valley Daily Bulletin describes Pilgrim Place as uniquely special considering that retirement communities were not common at the time. Pilgrim Place offers various levels of assisted care for its residents, with most residents living independently in cottage-style homes.
Spectra managed the design-build team and completed the rehabilitation of the historic Porter Hall as the General Contractor. The work included seismic upgrades, new elevator and building systems upgrades, complete façade rehabilitation, restoration of historic materials, and new interior finishes. Spectra self-performed the restoration of all of the historic materials. The building re-opened on July 16, 2017.
Architectural Woodwork • Concrete Repair • Estimating & Value Engineering • Facade Rehabilitation • General Contracting • Materials Restoration • Plaster • Preconstruction & Design • Preservation Consulting • Restoration Painting & Coatings • Selective Demolition/Abatement • Self-Perform • Structural Retrofit • Tile • Waterproofing/Roofing • Wood Doors • Wood Floors • Wood Windows