Wilshire Ebell Theatre
Sumner P. Hunt
Formed in 1894 as a women’s club, Ebell of Los Angeles based their teachings on Adrian Ebell, a pioneer in women’s education and organizer of women’s societies. In 1923, the group announced their plans to build their new clubhouse and theater and purchased the land in 1925. They retained the services of Architect Sumner P. Hunt of Hunt & Burns who designed the new facility in an Italian Renaissance Style that included a large lounge, art salon, dining room, and theatre. Doors opened in 1927. The theater has hosted many famous women over the years including a young Judy Garland, where she was discovered. Amelia Earhart made her last public appearance at the theater before her fateful last flight.
In 1982, the building was listed as a Los Angeles Cultural Historic Monument and in 1994 added to the National Register of Historic Places. Spectra completed the exterior façade restoration.
Concrete Repair • Decorative Concrete