Museum of Man
Owner City of San Diego Original Architect Bertram Goodhue Historic Preservation Architect Heritage Architecture & Planning Structural Engineer Miller/Jaquess Structural Engineers General Contractor Fordyce Construction Restoration Contractor Spectra Company
In 1915, The Story of Man through the Ages exhibit showed at the Panama-California Exposition. The museum’s name was later changed to the San Diego Museum of Man due to the museum’s concentration on anthropology, and now is called the Museum of Us in the spirit of inclusiveness. During World War II, the museum was converted into a hospital and later returned to its original state in 1951. The museum occupies four different buildings from the original 1915 Exposition. The California Quardrangle and the California Tower are listed on the National Register of Historic Places. Spectra assisted with the museum’s façade restoration. The façade restoration included restoring wood windows, timber beam restoration, replication of ornamental cast stone, ceramic tile restoration on the dome and much more.
Scope of Work
Concrete Repair • Decorative Concrete • Facade Rehabilitation • Masonry • Materials Restoration • Self-Perform • Tile • Waterproofing/Roofing • Wood Windows