Nabih Youssef & Associates
Mechanical, Plumbing and Electrical Engineer
Creative Engineering Group
Historic Preservation Consultant
Located at the corner of Olive and 7th Street in Downtown Los Angeles, Giannini Place was the Los Angeles headquarters for the Bank of Italy. The Bank of Italy was established in 1904 by Amadeo Giannini. Originally headquartered in San Francisco, the bank directed its services towards working class Italian Americans. In the early 1920s, Giannini decided to move its headquarters from San Francisco to Los Angeles. Acclaimed architecture firm Morgan, Walls & Clements was commissioned to design the new bank. Designed in the neoclassical style, the 12-story building features Doric columns, marble floors and an ornate golden-coffered ceiling in the main lobby.
In 2015, the New York-based development firm Sydell Group purchased the abandoned office building. They launched an extensive project to adaptively rehabilitate the building into the chic NoMad Hotel. The space accommodates 250 guest rooms, a rooftop pool, an event deck, and street level restaurant and retail space. Spectra collaborated with Sydell Group, RD Olson, and KFA to restore the 1920’s-era structure.
Scope of Work
Adaptive Reuse • Brick • Decorative Metal • Facade Rehabilitation • Masonry • Materials Restoration • Metal Door • Metal Windows • Plaster • Restoration Painting & Coatings • Self-Perform • Stone • Terra-Cotta • Wood Windows
Los Angeles Conservancy 2020