William Douglas Lee
Pica + Sullivan Architects LTD
Historic Preservation Consultant
ICF International/Historic Resources Group
Johnson Leifield Structural Engineers
W.E. O’Neil Construction
Designed by William Douglas Lee and built by pioneering female builder/developer Florence C. Casler in 1926, the Downtown Women’s center is historically known as the Renaissance Building. The building features gothic revival architectural details and was originally the home of the largest shoe factory west of St. Louis.
The Downtown Women’s Center organization transformed the building to be dedicated solely to helping women get back on their feet. The center provides private studio housing, a day care center, a women’s medical clinic and mental health clinic, café and boutique shops.
The project included the adaptive reuse and rehabilitation of the entire 67,000 square foot building. Spectra performed the façade rehabilitation, including epoxy injection and the restoration of the ornamental concrete details.
Adaptive Reuse • Concrete Repair • Decorative Concrete • Facade Rehabilitation • Lighting & Chandeliers • Metal Door • Preservation Consulting • Restoration Painting & Coatings • Selective Demolition/Abatement • Self-Perform
California Preservation Foundation 2014 • Los Angeles Conservancy 2011 • National Trust Award 2011